Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's the journey that matters the most. . .

"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end." - Ursula K. LeGuin

I can't believe that it has been a little over a month since I sat down to blog. I did this by choice. Life gets busy and requires too much of us at times. I have found that I am the one who puts these demands on myself most of the time. I have been on this journey to a simpler life and instead of writing about it all of the time I just wanted to enjoy it for a while. It turns out that for my own health . . .just enjoying the journey is exactly what I need to be doing.

The women in my family live with quite a "curse". It is called diabetes. Several months ago I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant. That is just fancy talk for pre-diabetic. I was instructed then to take better care of myself. I did so at first and then my diligence began to slip a bit. Last week I had to return to the doctor because the symptoms were worse. I am now on medication to help keep my glucose levels steady and have been put on a stricter diet. I will also begin exercising on a more regular basis. These things are all needed so that I can enjoy my "simple" life.

We take the simple things in life for granted. When is the last time you took the time to savor an ice cream cone? Enjoy it. . .and consider yourself blessed that you can eat it without becoming sick. When is the last time you enjoyed the wonder of God's beautiful sunset? Take the time and consider yourself blessed that you are still here. . .with your family. . .and able to view it!

Look for me to share some inventive "diabetic" recipes to add to your own simple life:

No comments:

Post a Comment